Lemons from Sicily are just beginning to arrive in small quantities, it will be another couple of months before the harvest picks up, but we love the intensity of these lemons at this time of year. This lemon posset with almonds is a wonderful dessert, nodding as it does to warmer climes as we shore up against the cold of February. Our cookery school chefs like to make a really buttery vanilla shortbread with this recipe. Neither element is too sweet and it feels wonderfully indulgent after the rigours of those New Year resolutions in January…
- 220g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, de-seeded
- 220g plain flour
- 100g cornflour
- Pinch of salt
- Demarara sugar
Lemon Posset Ingredients
- 600ml double cream
- 140g caster sugar
- 2 large Sicillian lemons
- 100g flaked almonds
- 10g icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 170°c
- Line two baking trays with parchment.
- Cream the butter, sugar & vanilla seeds in a large bowl until the mix is light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour and cornflour into the mixture, add a pinch of salt and combine.
- Knead your mixture on a work surface until it forms a soft dough.
- Roll to the thickness of 1cm. Prick the dough all over with a fork and cut into triangles.
- Place on your baking tray and refridgerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the edges of your shortbread are turning golden brown at the edges. Leave to firm up on the trays before transferring to a wire rack.
- While they are still warm dust with demerara sugar.
Lemon Posset Method
- Toast the almonds in a preheated oven at 180° for 6-8 mins until golden brown, Whilst hot, dust with icing sugar and leave to cool/
- Strain the lemon juice and add the finely pared zest.
- In a heavy-based pan, heat the double cream and the sugar to a slow boil. Use the largest pan you have to allow the cream space to expand. Boil for 3 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- When the mixture is cool whisk in the lemon juice and zest.
- Sprinkle a few of the almonds into six large glasses, pour the lemon cream mixture onto the almonds. Arrange the remaining almonds on top and refrigerate for at least three hours.